Water plays a central and critical role in all aspects of life. The human being, however, can survive only a few days without clean, safe drinking water. Many people living in poverty, daily face enormous hardship because water supplies are neither sufficient nor clean. Waterborne diseases are caused by drinking contaminated water. Drinking quality water is important for healthy living.
The statistics are stark:
- An estimated 842,000 deaths are caused by Diarrhoeal disease, is attributable to unsafe water supply, sanitation and hygiene and includes 361,000 deaths of children under age five, mostly in low income countries – WHO, 2014
- Around the world up to 443 million school days are lost every year because of water-related illness – Human Development Report, 2006
- If everyone, everywhere had clean water the number of diarrheal deaths would be cut by a third –Tropical Medicine and International Health, 2014
- 98% of the richest people and only 79.2% of the poorest people in Pakistan have clean water – Wateraid Pakistan, Washwatch.
On the flip side, investing in safe clean drinking water offer productivity and economic benefits
- Every $1 invested in water and toilets returns an average of $4 in increased productivity – (WHO, 2012)
The Garage School, was established in 1999 by Mrs. Shabina Mustafa. It is a non-profit organization that aims to educate and facilitate the underprivileged residents of Shah Rasool and Neelum Colonies located at DHA Phase V.
In June 2017, The Garage School started a water filtration plant in Shah Rasool colony DHA Phase V. The purpose was to provide safe and clean drinking water at subsidized rates of Rs. 1/litre to the residents of Shah Rasool and Neelum Colonies DHA, Phase V. Water is sourced from sweet water bowsers and then further filtered using the So-Safe Filtration plant. Since inauguration to-date over 300 families have registered for the facility. Over 600,000 liters of clean, safe drinking water have been provided to them to-date.
In order to continue this facility for the provision of clean and safe drinking water to the residents, The Garage School wants you to come forward and support the cause by helping us in covering the operational costs of the filter plant. With Rs. 1/Litre, we barely cover the cost of water bowsers and looking for donations to cover the operating costs including rent, salaries, utilities and maintenance.
Moving forward we need donations to cover the expenses for the smooth function of Filter plant. We project to have an increase of Rs. 488,600/- in the operating cost of the plant. The projections also take into account a 10% increase in operational cost over current year.
Any amount donated will be appreciated. However, you can donate full operational cost or you can choose any of the following cost for donation.
- Maintenance and Repair
- Water Bowsers
For funds and donations:
Meezan Bank Limited
Address: Al-Karam Centre, Clifton Block 7, Karachi
Branch Code: 0107
Account Name: Safi Benevolent Trust
Account Number: 0107-02000000-689
Swift Code: MEZNPKKA
IBAN Number: PK79MEZN000107